What is personal information?
Personal information is any information or an opinion (whether true or not) about you. It may range from the very sensitive (e.g. medical history or condition) to the everyday (e.g. address and phone number). It would include the opinions of others about your work performance (whether true or not), your work experience and qualifications, aptitude test results and other information obtained by us in connection with your possible work placements. Personal information includes sensitive information.
What is sensitive information?
Sensitive information is a special category of personal information. It is information or opinion about your:
- Racial or ethnic origin
- Political opinion
- Sexual preferences or practices
- Criminal record
- Health or disability (at any time)
- Membership of a political association or religious beliefs, affiliations or philosophical beliefs
- Membership of a professional or trade association or membership of a trade union
- Expressed wishes about the future provision of health service
- It includes personal information collected to provide a health service.
Sensitive information can, in most cases, only be disclosed with your consent.
How do you contact us?
If you wish to contact us about your personal or sensitive information you should contact:
The Privacy Coordinator
Phone: (02) 9517 4222
Fax: (02) 9519 7362
How will your information be collected?
Personal and sensitive information will be collected from you directly when you fill out and submit one of our registration forms or any other information in connection with your application to us for registration.
Personal and sensitive information will also be collected when:
- We receive any reference about you
- We receive results of inquiries that we might make of your former employers work colleagues, professional associations or registration body
- We receive the results of any competency or medical test
- We receive performance feedback (whether positive or negative)
- We receive any complaint from or about you in the workplace
- We receive any information about a workplace accident in which you are involved
- We receive any information about any insurance investigation, litigation, registration or professional disciplinary matter, criminal matter inquest or inquiry in which you are involved
- You provide us with any additional information about you
Your information will be used:
Your personal and sensitive information may be used in connection with:
- Your actual or possible work placement
- Your performance appraisals
- Our assessment of your ongoing performance and prospects
- Any test or assessment (including medical tests and assessments) that you might be required to undergo
- Our identification of your training needs
- Any workplace rehabilitation
- Our management of any complaint, investigation or inquiry in which you are involved
- Any insurance claim or proposal that requires disclosure of your personal or sensitive information.
Your personal and sensitive information may be disclosed to:
- A Workers Compensation body
- Our contractors and suppliers – e.g. our I.T. contractors and database designers
- Any person with a lawful entitlement to obtain the information
- Our insurers
- Potential and actual employers and clients of medipharm recruitment
- A professional association or registration body that has a proper interest in the disclosure of your personal and sensitive information.
If you do not give us the information we seek:
We may be limited in our ability to locate suitable position for you.
We may be limited in our ability to place you in such positions.
You can gain access to your information to correct it if it is wrong:
Subject to some exceptions which are set out in the National Privacy Principles (Principle 6 – Access and Correction), you have a right to see and have a copy of personal and sensitive information about you that we hold.
If you are able to establish that personal or sensitive information that we hold about you is not accurate, complete and up to date, we will take reasonable steps to correct it so that it is accurate, complete and up to date.
If we are unable to agree that personal or sensitive information that we hold about you is accurate, complete and up to date, you may ask us to place with the information a statement by you that claims that particular information is not accurate, complete and up to date.
If you wish to exercise your rights of access and correction you should contact our Privacy Co-ordinator, whose details are shown above.
In some cases we may impose a moderate charge for providing access to personal or sensitive information. We will not charge you simply because you lodge a request for access.